Friday, February 26, 2010

A Brief Glimpse of Professional Life

I purposely don't blog about my work--it isn't very interesting and it is probably in my best interest not to do it. But today I had a moment that begs to be shared.

I teach 7th grade English for one hour of the day. Each day I write a quote on the board for the students to journal about. We do this to practice higher-level thinking skills and work on their ability to express complex thoughts in writing.

Tuesday's quote was the classic "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime." Pretty easy to drum up a few sentences on what this means, right?

Wrong, apparently, for one student, who wrote: I think this means fish need to eat more than we do.

That thud you hear? That's the sound of my forehead hitting my desk.

2 comments:

Karen K said...

Thanks for sharing, I can always use a good laugh!

Unknown said...

Hon, brownies won't help enough; trust me. I am working with a few of those kinds of students, too. Witness: "Police were on the seen." And these students are adults, grown people, who have been to school and more school.