Friday, May 11, 2012

Baby Update

Still here....2 hours left of my entire school year...trying to fill the time....

I ended up having a long doctor's appointment on Wednesday.  Let's see if Nana and Dr. Robyn can decode the acronyms:

FHT low 90/100
NST
BPP

I love when they leave the medical info visible on the computer.  I do a lot of reading about myself :)

Doctor listened to the baby's heartbeat (FHT=fetal heart tones) and thought it was a little low (between 95 and 110 beats per minute).  He then ordered a non-stress test (NST) which involves 2 fetal monitors to track heartbeat and contractions.  After 20 minutes the heartbeat was still low, but consistent.  I then trotted over to Radiology for the Biophysical Profile (BPP).  This is done via ultrasound and is a timed test for baby.  He/She had 30 minutes to have a certain number of large body movements, small body movements, and demonstrate 30 seconds of "practice breathing"  We passed the test just fine.  The technician also measured fluid levels, which are fine.

During the ultrasound I got to see baby a bit.  He/She had her hands up next to her face and was moving her lips and tongue--another thumb-sucker in the making?  Also, the doctor found a foot and measured it.  She said, "Hmmm...that foot measures 8 centimeters....that's about 3 and a half inches.  That seems kind of big, doesn't it?  Did you have big babies before?"  Um, yes, but that is ridiculous!  As I texted to my mom and sister: Get out a ruler and tell me this baby is not a Sasquatch!  I've gained 20 lbs. with this pregnancy--it will be easy to lose if 10 of it is pure baby.

Venturing into the "too much information" category, there is "progress" being made, as checked by the doctor.  He actually asked me, "Are you sure you aren't having contractions?  I'm really surprised you aren't having contractions."  Buddy, if I could make them happen, I would!  The whole thing reminded me of my 40-week appointment with Sammy, when the doctor said, "I don't know why you aren't in labor."  So helpful.  So we wait--back to the doctor on Monday if nothing happens this weekend.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Subliminal slip of the tongue going on? ;). We shall see! Sorry I was not at school to wish you well today! Good luck, and I cannot wait to meet Baby!