Friday, May 14, 2010

Dinner Improvisation

Sam had a 6:30 softball game last night, which meant a 5:45 departure from the house (gotta get in some BP, you know), which meant dinner needed to be on the table by 5:15. Couple that with arriving home at 4:15 with 2 kids in tow, I was feeling a little overwhelmed! However, a bit of planning, blog-reading, and Googling saved us from dinner disaster.

The menu for yesterday was BLTs, but that wasn't gonna happen for several reasons, so I needed a new plan. As I thought, I realized we had all of the makings of a pizza at home, except for the crust. A quick Google led me to this recipe for yeast-free pizza dough. I have nothing against yeast; it just isn't one of those things I keep around the house. I used half regular flour and half whole-wheat, and it turned out really well.

I also whipped up a quick pasta salad inspired by this recipe at $5 Dinners. I didn't have all the right ingredients, but we made it work. I used elbow macaroni, some quartered grape tomatoes, the remnants of a bag of frozen peas, bacon, and some diced chicken. Coat with ranch dressing and you have deliciousness! Of course Annie said "I don't want some of that" but she doesn't eat anything, so her opinion doesn't count. I brought the leftovers for lunch today.

There are no pictures of my awesomeness. Try to imagine it in your head.

And we did make it to softball on time. You should see the mountain of stuff we have to bring with us: bat bag, water bottle, bag of special toys, hidden snacks, jackets for everyone, blankies for everyone, and either the giant double stroller or combo of single stroller and Baby Bjorn. All for 90 minutes of social time (which I missed a lot of last night while walking Anne to the port-a-potty. That's a horror, let me tell you!) Soon enough school will be out and I can take an entire day to prepare for dinner and a softball game :)

2 comments:

Oma Penny said...

I am truly amazed that you have energy at the end of the day to even Google anything! What a wife and mother!

Nanny #2 said...

I did yeast free pizza dough one time and it stunk. I couldn't get it elastic enough. Well done on finding a good one.