Friday, June 18, 2010

New Phrases

A few of Anne's new phrases:

"What did you say?"

"Why not?" She used to always accept whatever we said, as in: "Are we going to the park?" "No" "Okay" It was awesome. Now she asks "Why not?" when things are not to her liking.

"My tummy feels yucky" This was new today, and kind of sad. Sure beats unexplainable crying, though!

I have also discovered a new way to manipulate the child...when you give her a choice between X and Y, she will choose whichever thing you say last. For example:

Anne, do you want milk or juice? She would choose juice, since it was the last thing said.

Anne, do you want to pet the bunny, the lamb, or the tiger? She would choose tiger.

So, as a resourceful parent, I know that she will choose what I want her to choose if I phrase the question correctly. We maintain the illusion of choice when, really, I am in complete control. I bet she'll figure me out soon enough, though. She's pretty smart!

Edit: She also can (finally) say her whole name. "Anne Merdiff Wes-fall" It is one of the few times she refers to herself as "Anne" and not "Annie"

2 comments:

Leah said...

mwahaha - you sly parent you. :) She's getting so big! I've missed reading about your family. I'm back in the blog world and thrilled to be here!

The Thuente Family said...

I also play that question phrasing trick with Lillian. Hasn't let me down yet. Who's your favorite, Daddy or Mommy? Haha!