Thursday, July 8, 2010

Small Rant

I do not like articles on the Web or in magazines that claim you can "get the look on a budget" because their idea of "budget" is my idea of "splurge" Seriously, a $59 shirt is NOT a deal! Here are my personal guidelines for shopping:

Shirts: $5 or less
Pants/Shorts/Skirts/Sweaters: $10 or less
Shoes: $15 or less
Dress: $25 or less
Make-up/Beauty product: $3 or less

You're either thinking "Wow, that's cheap" or "Wow, that's why she always looks so crappy!"

Today I'm wearing a $4 shirt, $5 pants, and $10 sandals (which I felt guilty about buying). My belt I've owned since roughly 2003, so it's paid for itself.

Talking with a co-worker one day I received a compliment on my outfit. I said, "Oh, thanks." and proceeded to explain that my shirt was a Christmas gift, my skirt was a thrift score, my tights were 75% off ($2.50 instead of $10), and my knee-high boots were a super-deal at $10. She was very impressed. So don't comment on my clothes unless you want the story of where they came from!

I can't remember the last time I paid full price for any article of clothing (well, I pay full price at the thrift store, but that's different). But really, the prices above reflect what I think things are actually worth. A cotton t-shirt should not cost more than $5 because it isn't worth any more than that! I think someone should contact me about doing some "budget shopping" articles.

2 comments:

Oma Penny said...

It's ok to pay full price at the thrift store, but it's even better when you can score an item that's also half off!
You never look like crap. You are my beautiful daughter who has the gift for stretching a dollar!

Anders said...

Corrie, you and I are on the same page here. I think it is laughable to pay stupid money for clothes. Today I am wearing a shirt I got for free, and some shorts my mom bought me in High School.

I would rather spend my money on auto parts than clothes.