Saturday, June 25, 2011

Florida Days 6 and 7--Catching Up and Heading Home

Friday:
We stayed inside most of the day. Sam golfed with his uncle Dave and had a great time. I kept the kids inside--Sammy was acting weird and seemed like he needed some time out of the sun. We spent the evening having our picture taken by a professional photographer. Since ALL of Sam's family was together we had someone come out to capture the moments. It was all fine until little Sam decided he had had enough and had a total screaming meltdown when Claire tried to take his picture. So embarrassing. We spent the remainder of the evening sharing a meal and conversation with the rest of the family. Pictures from that day will be coming soon :)

Saturday:
We packed up and headed out of Orlando about 8:30. We took a short side trip to the national cemetery in Bushnell to see Sam's grandparents. Grandpa Jack died a while back, but Grandma Diane died just a few weeks ago. We had planned this trip to see her and celebrate her 75th birthday. She used to tease us and say "I hope I get to meet your son someday...." and we would laugh about how she was guilting us into coming to visit. Turns out she was right, and she never did get to meet Sammy. We went today to say our official "goodbye". It was pretty emotional, and inspired a difficult conversation with Anne about death.

We continued on up the road and are now in Macon, GA for the night. We are enjoying everyone's Southern accent. Tomorrow we'll drive to Indiana before heading back to Minnesota on Monday.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Corrie, you will never know how much this picture means to me; that you and Sam would honor my parents by going out of your way to pay your respects. Thank you so much. I know my dad would have thought the world of you and the kids. We are a lucky family to count you among us.

Ginger Murray said...

I'm so glad you were able to see her gravestone. Saying Goodbye is so difficult... I wasn't at my Grandpa's funeral, but I did visit his gravestone the next year, and it was emotional for me.