Thursday, June 16, 2011

June thus far

Any teacher will tell you that the first week of summer vacation is a very bizarre week. Working in a school is extremely regimented--you live by the clock and the bell. Very Pavlovian. But when vacation comes and there is no schedule at all, we feel kind of lost! We can do whatever, whenever, and the choice is overwhelming. We here at the Westphall house have been trying to create some kind of schedule over the past 10 days. We've done many crafts, baked many things, and slept quite a bit (apparently my body's summer project is to make up some sleep debt). Here are some photos of what we've been up to:

I made Anne 2 new dresses using the "Pillowcase" dress idea from Prudent Baby. For the first one I used a thrifted button-down shirt in a green gingham. I reversed it so that the buttons go down the back. Anne likes it, and I liked being able to skip the bottom hem!From the back (look at that scraggly ponytail! Yech!)
Sambo's been great so far, playing very well with Anne and by himself, and generally being super-cute.
Here's Anne's second dress. The first one was the "practice," and this one was the real deal. She needed a blue dress and I could not find one to purchase, so I made one. She was pretty pumped about her "new blue dress!"

The child cannot resist making faces in photos.
I used a few scraps to make a bow, which I then glued to a headband.
And yesterday, as a result of that scraggly ponytail, Anne got a haircut! She lost about 2 inches in length and got some layers, which will supposedly help with the massive tangle-ball she always has on the back of her head. The stylist put some "curl creme" in her hair before we left, so it was extra-curly. All of the people in the salon were saying "What cute hair" and "How beautiful" and while I am inclined to agree with them, Anne's ego was getting quite the boost! There's more to life than being pretty, dear daughter. I felt like we needed to go home and do some flashcards or something.
So that's June thus far. Keep checking the blog next week as we head out on our journey to Orlando, Florida! It is my goal to blog as we go while things are fresh in my mind....hopefully I will be successful :)

No comments: