Saturday, August 30, 2008

Post 3

Two cool things I've learned about rice cereal this week:

1. To get an older baby to eat rice cereal, you can mix the dry cereal with just a little bit of water to make a thick paste. Then roll the cereal/paste into little balls and offer them to baby as finger food. Annie has loved this so far. I always mix some cinnamon into her cereal to give it a little flavor and she pops them in her mouth. It helps to roll the balls in a bit of dry cereal to keep them from sticking together. A bit labor-intensive, I know, but it keeps her eating the cereal and getting enough iron in her diet.

2. Most babies love bananas. However, when it comes time for finger food, banana pieces are too slippery for babies to pick up. Enter rice cereal. Cut up the bananas into bite-size pieces and put them in a plastic sandwich bag. Pour in a bit of dry cereal, blow some air in the bag (a la Shake and Bake) and shake. The cereal coats the bananas, eliminating sticky/slipperiness and morphing the fruit into a baby-friendly snack. Delicious!

I know this isn't really about my child, but these are two things I've never read in any parenting book (of which I have read many). The website http://www.parenthacks.com is a great place to share ideas and tips with other parents. That's where I found these two gems, and I expect to find many more in the future.

1 comment:

Emily Nelson said...

What a FABULOUS idea! We have two boxed of cereal left and I wasn't sure how I was going to get Evan to eat them now that he likes finger food and can't quite use a spoon - thanks for the great tip! Oh, and this is Sarah's friend, Emily - Harriet gave me your blog address to brag about your adorable baby girl. She is so cute!