Friday, November 21, 2008

And off we go...

I kept delaying this post because I wanted to make Annie a cute onesie announcing our plans, but it never happened, so you get plain text. If you haven't heard, and most of you have, we are going to Las Vegas for Thanksgiving. We will be meeting up with all of Sam's mom's family and having a grand ol' time hanging out together. I wanted to write "Vegas Baby" on a shirt and take Anne's picture to tell you all, but there was just never time for that. We are leaving Tuesday morning and coming back Saturday (attention thieves: our house will be unmanned--help yourself to our cheap-o furniture and sub-par electronics. Take our dog, too.)

Anyone know good things to do with our 1-year-old on a 3 hour flight? I've got finger puppets, a sticker book, regular books, lots of snacks, the thus-far-forbidden juice, and the potent Tylenol-and-blankie combination. Please pray that she sleeps well while we are gone; experience does not show that she's a good traveller.

The planning and packing for this trip helped fuel yesterdays brutally honest post. Funny how stressful things sort of compound and build up and you don't really know how it is going to blow up, only that it IS going to blow up. So I'm planning and packing for a 5-day vacation with a toddler, finishing my semester of grad school (writing papers), working without my full-time assistant (doing the job of two people instead of one), and to top it off, I just started teaching Sunday School to a handful of kindergarteners. They're cute and all, but holy cow there's a lot of prep work to do! Plus Sam is working extra to counteract the time he is taking off for the trip, so he's not home to help much (though he does what he can, especially in the morning.)

I'm not trying to complain--this is the life I lead and most days it's pretty sweet. Just trying to give a little perspective on why Anne's PT mess really freaked me out. It made me think "I don't need one more thing to think about!" I already felt like a dum-dum this week because we totally missed our appointment for Sam and Anne to get flu shots. Sam probably won't get one now, and Anne got hers thanks to Opa. We traded cars one morning so he would have the carseat and took her all by himself to the clinic for her shot. He was surprised at how taxing it is to carry her from the car to the building to the desk to the waiting room. She's no lightweight, I know! Plus now she wiggles and twists around!

I'm rambling and I know it. To summarize: this week has been crazy, I want it to be over, I have 12 items on my to-do list for tonight, and we are in desperate need of this vacation!

Happy Thanksgiving, all! We will miss the Kleinman festivities very much, as well as the Red Wing "Holiday Stroll"(they're having live reindeer this year!). Enjoy your families, remember to be thankful, and color a "hand turkey" just for fun.

Lots of pictures and fun stories to come from our trip to the desert--stay tuned.

1 comment:

The Thuente Family said...

Take Annie to downtown Vegas at night. There is a light show that goes on over your head and it would be quite exciting for her! The strip would also be exciting (you can watch the water show in front of the Bellagio). There are lots of things to see and best of all its free to look! I'm sure the weather will be nice. We did Vegas over Thanksgiving 2 years ago and it was sunny and 70s. Have fun!