Monday, October 11, 2010

Menu Plan and Recipe Round-Up

Here's what we're eating this week. The challenge to myself was to spend $40 on groceries and NOT GO BACK. No "emergency" trips to the store. We will make-do with what we have. I was successful in my budget shopping trip; hopefully the rest of the week goes well, too.

Monday: Hamburger Helper (sing it with me: Makes a great meal!)
Tuesday: Fried rice (my favorite way to use up the odds and ends in the freezer)
Wednesday: Lentil tacos
**EDIT**Lentil tacos were good, not great. We ate them in burritos and both agreed that they tasted more like chili than tacos. Perhaps when we thaw the leftovers we will eat them with Fritos. :)
Thursday: Homemade pizza
Friday: Black bean soup
Saturday: Mac and cheese lunch, pancakes for dinner

Erin, you would be proud, since I can now make that pizza dough from memory--no need for a recipe.

I have had a lot of recipes to share lately. Earlier in the fall I was rich in pears, so I made pear sauce (like applesauce) and used it for many things. Anne ate it with vanilla yogurt, and we made a pear sauce cake and homemade fruit leather. It was all awesome. The fruit leather was made without any added sugar--just pure fruit--and it was so sweet! In a world of Oreos, you forget how sweet fruit can be. Since it is just pureed fruit, I tossed in the last of Sambo's baby food, so that it didn't go to waste.

Last night we had a veggie revelation. Roasted broccoli. I had half a bunch of broccoli in the fridge and didn't know what to do with it. Answer: chop it up, toss with oil, salt, and garlic, and roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Amazing! I will never steam broccoli again.

Need a veggie your kids will eat? Mine ate squash and I was thrilled. Peel and cube half a squash (I had an acorn squash), then dice one apple (I had a Gala). **EDIT** Microwave the squash (10 minutes for frozen, 5-6 minutes for fresh) This gives the squash a head-start on cooking. Roast at 425 for 15 minutes until tender. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Mix with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and a little cinnamon. When the squash is done, toss it with the sauce and serve. So good, and tastes like fall.

There you have it, I guess. I hope you find some inspiring recipes here--try something new!

2 comments:

TB said...

thank yo for posting! I LOVE To read new recipes and i love your updates! :)

Nanny #2 said...

Well done on memorizing the recipe. I am planning on making calzones with a girl in our youth group in a few weeks with it. I hope I don't blow it.