Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Waffles

With my excess pumpkin, I made pumpkin waffles last night. The recipe below is from "Vegan with a Vengeance", a cookbook my brother Travis bought me for Christmas a few years back. I made the following modifications: I halved the recipe; I used pureed pumpkin and some homemade pear sauce (since I didn't have enough pumpkin); I left out the cloves; and I used regular milk, rendering this recipe non-vegan. Sorry, Trav! They were delicious, and we froze the leftovers.

Pumpkin Waffles
(makes 24 regular waffles or 12-14 belgian waffles)
(I got 6 belgians out of a half-recipe)

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

2 cups rice, soy, or cow's milk (I used skim)
1 15-ounce can pureed pumpkin
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat your waffle iron. Sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients until well-emulsified. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix. Prepare the waffles as directed on your waffle iron.

I did notice these cooked a little bit faster than my "regular" waffles. Our iron takes 7 minutes to cook, usually, but these were done in 5 minutes. Perhaps due to the presence of brown sugar? Who knows. I do know that they were delicious and we will definitely make them again.

1 comment:

Staples said...

Mmmm sounds tasty! I need to try those. Are you going to add it to your 9 week menu?