Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Grown-Up Television

As I've said before, my kids love to watch Food Network and Cooking Channel.  I love that they love it because it means we don't have to watch Nick Jr. all the time.  Less "Wonder Pets", more "Barefoot Contessa"

However, Nick Jr.'s perk is its lack of commercials.  Grown-up channels have commercials...for grown-up things.  While we are still avoiding annoying commercials for junky toys and crap, my kids have established an interesting vocabulary.  Some examples:

Anne: Mom, this is green and starts with "B".  I think it is Benefiber.

Anne: We are CenturyLink.

Anne: .....cash rewards card.....

Anne: Mom, do you know what is an easy dinner?  You take the meat and wrap it in the dough!  (This is a commercial from Pillsbury--an "easy dinner idea" of wrapping hot dogs in Crescent roll dough)

Strange?  Yes.  But hey, no one is asking me for a Leapster or "Little Miss Muffin" for Christmas!

No comments: