Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Boy or Girl?

What will baby Westphall be? It is making me crazy to not know, and Sam and I have been talking in circles as to whether or not we are going to find out. He does not want to; I do. We have conferences at school tonight and I'm sitting at my desk, attempting to avoid grading projects for as long as possible. I was surfing the Gymboree website, looking at cute spring clothes for baby boys and baby girls. Will it be more frou-frou pink for us? Or will blue make a showing? Either way, both of these outfits are adorable (and overpriced!)--I just want to know which one is for us!!!
I understand Sam's objection--he thinks it will be more exciting to wait and let the baby be a surprise. I can see that point, and sometimes I even agree with it. But on the other hand, I want to know and plan things: do I need to do some garage-sale shopping this summer or do I need to simply unpack all of Annie's tiny clothes from the basement? We knew Anne was going to be a girl, so we don't have any "gender neutral" clothing. It is pink and purple as far as the eye can see. Only our baby gear is neutral--no pink stroller or carseat or anything.

I feel this is the most psychologically exhausting part of pregnancy. I don't feel sick anymore, so I don't "feel pregnant" but I also don't look pregnant and I can't feel the baby move yet. I have moments when I think "Okay, is everything okay in there? Is something really happening, or did I imagine all of that?" Plus the wait between doctor visits and heartbeat-hearings is SO long. I am going this Friday and it will have been over 6 weeks since the last visit. That's a long time to wonder if things are alright and be left alone with my hormone-crazed imagination. So for now I am left to my own wonderings and daydreaming about bringing home a brother or sister for Anne...it's one of those times you wish your brain had an "off" switch.

Oh, and I'm totally aware that if Sam sees this, his response will be: No son of mine is EVER wearing plaid shorts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The plaid shorts are fine, but the fact that you think the doofus hat and shoes are 'adorable" is a little disturbing.

Don't worry, he'll have an adequate supply of football and hockey jerseys to wear at all times!

Corrie said...

I know--does that hat come with a free bowl of soup?