Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bed update

Last night she went down and did not get up, which was a first. I was thrilled.

That is, until 2:45, when she woke up and we went back and forth to her bed about 20 times for the next 2 hours. I was very good about not talking to her much or cuddling her, and I even made her walk back to bed by herself--I wasn't going to carry her (not like I really can!) So two hours of getting up every 7 minutes or so to walk her back to bed. No fun. We're both quite crabby today.

She got up 3 times before settling down for her nap this afternoon. It is very back-and-forth, it seems. She'll lay down just fine one day, but the next she has to get up. What's the deal?

I'm sure you're tired of reading this, but it is the first thing that has been really challenging for us. For the most part she is an easy-going girl who does what we ask. This stubbornness is a newly discovered part of her personality. And it is the first thing I am really second-guessing. All of the crying and hard nights make me think "She's not ready. We're pushing this too hard." and then I think "You're being weak! Not everything is going to be easy." So conflicted!

There was much praying last night, mostly for patience. I HATE not sleeping and am having a tough enough time doing it with a 4 lb friend in my belly, so to wake me multiple times in a night is a good way to incur some wrath. So there was a lot of "God, just help me be nice." and "God, keep me calm." Again, I'm so conflicted--I want to rock her to sleep and I want to spank her at the same time! I know she's not being naughty, but I know she can understand the command "Stay in your bed."

She pulled her first "diversion tactic" last night by proclaiming herself "Poopy wet" every time we went back to bed. I guess she thought a diaper change would be fun. I only gave in twice...

And so, we must soldier on. No point in putting her back in the crib now; we're in too deep. I told Sam that since I went solo last night, he gets tonight--and I'm sleeping far away on the couch :) Somehow I doubt that's how it is going to play out.

No comments: