Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Check-Ups

Yesterday was doctor day. Annie was having her 18-month well-baby visit, and I was due for a check myself, so the whole family packed up and headed to the clinic. Anne was in no mood for anything yesterday at 10:00 and was not herself--any time anything went slightly wrong she just burst into tears. This makes for one exhausting half hour of poking from the nurse and the doc. What we eventually learned is she weighs 27 lbs, is 32.5 inches tall, and is generally healthy and happy. I was glad that she perked up a bit at the end and the doctor could hear her talk a bit. Oh, and she still has a giant head. Can't forget that part! No shots--this was frustrating to me. They schedule shots for the 12-month and 18-month appointments, but no one tells you that these doses have to be given 6 months apart. So because we had her 12-month visit late (Oct. 16) and this one early (March 30) she couldn't get her shots. It is annoying because no one tells you this and no one asks when you schedule your appointment, so now she has to get extra shots at her next visit, which isn't until 24 months. I'm guessing she'll be bigger and kicky-er by then!

My appointment went fine. The doctor was more interested in gabbing about her own kids than asking me anything, so all my questions went unasked and unanswered. The nurse was crabby, too. Some days I hate that I can't ever see the same doctor twice in a row, but on days like that I'm glad I can say "Nope, not coming back to you!"

Ultrasound date has been set for.....TODAY! At 4:15 this afternoon all will (hopefully) be revealed. Sam and I each have strong opinions about what the baby is (Me: boy, Sam: girl) but he still won't decide if he wants to know or not. I think the uncertainty and anxiety is now making me sick and crabby--I threw up this morning out of the blue and I am not being very nice to the kiddos this morning. Time to turn that attitude around and be nice!

(My alternate theory to all of our "discussion" about gender: the baby lays in a way that shows nothing and we are forced into ignorance for the next 4.5 months...)

No comments: