Friday, March 6, 2009

Seventeen Months Old

Well, yesterday The Baby turned 17 months old. That is a weird age to say--I think I'll start saying she's one and a half when people ask me. Here are some quick updates:

-She has one of her eye teeth (is it eye teeth because of where they are or I-teeth because they are incisors?) The top right one is through and the left will follow soon. Negligent mother that I am I didn't even know until I stuck my finger in there yesterday to check on them! If I count those top two, the Tooth Total is 14, with 2 more on the way.

-She likes to brush her teeth. She'll go to the bathroom and stand by the cabinet and say "Please? Please?" so we'll brush her teeth. I do it first, then I let her have it. She just likes the taste of her toothpaste, but we'll go with it for now.

-She talks all the time! To us, to herself, whatever. She is also very good at playing by herself. Last night she was running up and down our hall and laughing at nothing. Sam said it looked like she was trying to find her top speed.

-She can be naughty. On Saturday there were two times when I went to her room and she had unloaded the diapers and/or wipes from the changing table. When I walked in she gasped and said "Oh, no!" and started putting them away! It's like she thought she could fool me: "Oh, no, Mom; what has happened here? I will help you clean it up."

-She likes to be "nice" right now. She'll pet the dog or pet my arm and say "nice" because that's how we tell her to be with Mikey. According to Sam there was a day when Annie walked over to Mike, pulled his jaws open, then poked him in the eye repeatedly while saying "Eyes! Eyes!" We had to ramp-up our "be nice to puppies" campaign after that.

-The blanket has officially become Dee-Dee. That's the name she stuck with, so we went along with it. "Ah Dee-Dee?" is the question we hear most often.

-She follows basic commands. Yesterday she impressed me by being able to "Take your cup to the kitchen" and walking it right to the sink.

-She says "no" a bit more than we'd like to hear. Not yet in full-on screaming/tantrum mode, but there are times we get a whiny "No" out of her. Sam really doesn't like this--I guess I'm more used to it.

-She's more cuddly than she used to be. She spends more time on my lap with her blankie than she used to. It is nice.

-Puppies are her fave. If she sees even a glimpse of a dog on TV she says "Puppy!" and knows all of her books that have puppies in them, even if they aren't on the cover. Sometimes we have to flip through the pages just to find the puppy picture, then move on to the next book.

Here she was last night in her heart jammies, sucking her thumb with Dee-Dee. She has a very specific hold for the blankie: sucking her right thumb she holds it in her right hand up against her nose, occasionally using the left hand to ball up the blankie closer to her face. I've NEVER seen her suck her thumb without the blanket in hand.Giving a skeptical look at the TV.
Resting with Daddy. Awww...
Time for "nigh nigh," Annie! Get your Dee-Dee!

2 comments:

Nanny #2 said...

I totally got the Homer song. Here is a quote for you.

"I claim this mouth in the name of incisor. (gasp) Bicuspid. What are you doing here?"

Karen K said...

The "No" tantrums will come. Gracie used to wind up, "NNNNNNNNNNNNo!!" and then we taught her to say, "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNice" to try to change it up a bit. It worked for like a day. Then we were back to the strong willed child who tells you no any time she feels like it:o) I always say that the terrrible twos start long before age two...enjoy! Sounds like she is doing great and going to be the best big sister. I love reading your stories, she is too funny!