Saturday, April 18, 2009

Reflections on Boys vs. Girls

I'm sitting at school (on a Saturday!) needing to kill some time, so I'll blog for you.

**Why am I at work? I'm at the Prom! Waiting for kids to take pictures and get the heck out of here so we can all go have dinner. And my feet have swollen around my strappy shoes and look disgusting**

I have not had much time to reflect on this new baby and how he will affect our little family unit. Turns out when you're pregnant and have a 1 year old, you don't have time to "appreciate" your pregnancy as much as the first one. It is more that you cruise along, noting the big points, like when your pants don't fit anymore or when you stop throwing up your dinner. None of this leisurely reading of baby books--doesn't matter anyway, because you know those books are 90% useless. I do, however, find myself thinking about the differences between boys and girls, sons and daughters, and how that is all going to work out. Here are some surface-level things that will be different:

swim trunks instead of swim skirts

buzz cuts instead of hair bows/clippies/ponies/"pretties"

2 pairs of shoes instead of 5 or 6

socks in white, blue, and black instead of pink, purple, white, lace, red, yellow, etc.

slacks and a shirt instead of frou-frou dresses

Any more I'm missing?

5 comments:

Nanny #2 said...

Argyle sweater vests!

TB said...

Lots and Lots of dirt

Tractors

Trucks

All books will be about the above three items :)

Hair cuts more often

Lots of time spent playing hockey, football, basketball, etc.

Your BOY will pretend to shoot a gun--even if you do not own a gun or allow guns to be played in your house.

Your BOY will know things like Power Rangers, Batman, Spiderman and SpongeBob without ever seeing it!

Clothes shopping for your boy is not very fun.

:) What else do you want to know?

TB said...

oh and I hope prom was fun :) Talked to Kim on Friday night for a bit! I miss you guys!!!

Ginger Murray said...

I love teresa's comment about the gun... so funny, and from what I've heard, so true, haha!

Gilbertson Family said...

Boys will wear their good pants outside to play, in the rain, and get them dirty and grass stained.

Yesterday the Mrs. reminded me of this as I wore my good pants to the junkyard.