Friday, April 17, 2009

Weird morning

A weird parenting "first" this morning. First vomit!

As I was getting dressed this morning, something stunk. I would get a whiff of it and gag because it was so gross. I called to Sam, who was in the middle of his work conference call, "Something smells! Find it!" So he hunts around and sure enough, Mikey had pooped in the house. After a clean-up and a brief dog-beating, we commenced our morning. Except, it still smelled so bad! I was ready to yarp all over the place because it reeked like crazy when Sam went to check on Annie. He found her laying in a pile of milky puke. It smelled really bad and we felt really bad--had she cried in the night? We never heard her. Was she still sick? When did this happen? He got her out of bed and out of her jammies while I stripped down the bed. She had rolled around and her hair smelled terrible, so into the bathtub she went. A quick scrub and shampoo were in order, then she got dressed and we dashed out the door. All of this happened in a 20-minute span, and all the while I'm thinking "Should I stay? Is she okay? I can't call in--I have an observation today!" Lots of emotions as I weighed my options, and later, after the madness, lots of "What if she had choked? Was she crying? Did she feel sick last night? I let my child throw up in her bed. Alone. What kind of mother does that?!?"

Sam called me at work later in the morning to check in and said "Poor kid, having the two of us for parents." Today I couldn't agree more--not our most shining day in child-rearing.

And kudos to Oma for telling me that Annie would be fine and reminding me that "If she was at any other daycare they wouldn't let her stay" to which I said "Yeah, I probably wouldn't have told them!" We're grateful for the "come as you are" atmosphere at Oma's house :)

2 comments:

Nanny #2 said...

Oh pish. You two are great parents. I feel completely confident if I threw up in your house, you would hear me crying in the bathroom after. Maybe Anne did not cry.

TB said...

The first time Jack threw up was at daycare. When Missy went in to get him up from nap, he was sleeping in his puke. She never heard him cry or make a gagging sound. She felt terrible!!! What we have come to realize is that he is just a quiet puker :) The other times he has thrown up have been pretty quiet. So do not beat yourself up--It happens! Luke on the other hand....oh my goodness.....he is a LOUD loud man when it comes to that icky stuff!!! Good job Corrie for hanging in there! Let go of the mom guilt!!! :)