Friday, November 19, 2010

Pumpkin Cornbread

Well, the pumpkin investment paid off. I bought 4 pie pumpkins for $1 and roasted them. I also threw in a few of our jack o'lantern pumpkins, which were free. All in all, I had 20 cups of pumpkin puree--the equivalent of 10 cans--for a $1 investment. THAT made the effort worthwhile. Lesson learned: buy the little pumpkins when they go on clearance for 10 cents per pound!

(Second lesson learned--don't try to puree that stuff in the blender. Some people recommend using a hand mixer. I'm just asking Sam for an immersion blender for Christmas.)

So, what are we doing with a freezer full of pumpkin? I already shared pumpkin waffles with you, and now here is pumpkin cornbread.

Librarian Disclaimer: I did not write this recipe. I found it on a blog, and that author had poached it from another blog...regardless, it is not my original work in any way.

This cornbread was awesome. It was thick and somewhat dense/cakey. Definitely dancing on the line between side dish and dessert :) I will make this again for sure.

In a large bowl, whisk together:
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup cornmeal

In a separate bowl, whisk together:
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Pour the wet into the dry and mix--it will be thick! Bake in a greased 8x8 dish for 30 minutes. Cool and enjoy.

Tomorrow we will try this Pumpkin Pie Dip with the leftover cup of pumpkin...

No comments: