Monday, December 14, 2009

Baby Milestone

Apparently we are less "by-the-books" parents the 2nd time around. When Anne was 4 months old we gave her baby cereal, as is the custom in America. However we waited until she had been to her 4 month check-up and gotten permission from the doc to try it. We mixed it diligently, measuring the cereal and the formula to make a "thin, watery mix" as the books tell you to do. If you recall, she didn't like it at all and we never tried it again.

Fast forward to baby Sam. Last night I said "Hey, let's give him some cereal" He's almost 4 months old, and I had read that it might help him 1. sleep and 2. spit-up less. So I dumped some powder in a bowl (a Wild hockey helmet bowl) and held it under the faucet to add some water (all while holding the baby). It was pretty thick--probably the consistency of canned frosting. "Meh," I thought to myself "It will be less messy this way." I plopped the baby down on Sam's lap and proceeded to spoon Sammy the cereal. He loved it! He gobbled it up quite well. We were very proud of our boy (and he probably appreciated having the undivided attention of BOTH parents for 10 minutes!) We did take pictures and a video, because that's what we did for Annie. I'll post them soon (I know you're dying to watch it!)

As for the sleeping and spitting up, I'm not sure if it helped. He slept from 9:00 pm to 4:00 am, which is pretty good for him. However, he did spit up approximately 5 times after eating the cereal before he went to bed. We'll try again tonight and see how it goes.

**In the Constantly Comparing Children category, today we reach an important milestone. Sammy has now been nursing longer than Anne. By this point she was done with all that and we made the move to formula. I'm not one of those Nazi-type moms who are crazy about breastfeeding (and look down on those who aren't), but if Sammy and I can hang in there for a few more months, I'll be pretty proud.**

No comments: